Friday, January 23, 2009

Cleaning the Draper Temple!

Yesterday was our Stake's Day to volunteer at the Draper Temple. Eric was an usher in the morning. From 7 am to 11 am. He was the man who would great you after coming out of the tunnel into the Stake Center. It wasn't real busy for him so it was kind of boring. Our assignment was to clean the temple from 10 pm to Midnight. At first, I have to admit I was a little sad. I wanted a cool usher job or something else. I got over that real fast. I loved our job! It was so much fun to be in the temple and just be able to wander around. We were assigned our job last. We got to empty all the little garbage cans in the whole temple. We basically had to search out all the little garbage cans. And there are a lot of them! and they hide!!

I am really excited about the Draper Temple. It will be our temple and I cant wait to go to it after it is dedicated. The Celestial Room is so beautiful. If though it is not dedicated you can feel the spirit and know what a special place that it is. The most fun part of the night was that we got to wear jeans! In the temple! This was definitely an experience. We are so blessed to have a temple so close to us and just for us!

This also brought back a memory for me when we first moved into the Crescent 17th ward, we had the opportunity to clean the Jordan River Temple. It was a lot more work being just a busy temple. You had to have a recommend and we had to change our clothes into white clothing. I remember this as a time I got to know more people in a new ward. We met the Wells and the McRae's that night. I remember being so jealous of Charlene's hearing aids. We were using the beater brush on the vacuum to clean upholstery and it was so loud!! She just turn off her "hearing" and went on her way.

2 comments:

Sara Newton said...

Yay for a fun assignment! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I also had fun with cookies. I got to make some friends and I ate 2 cookies during my shift. mmmmmmmm...

Kat said...

I was wondering where you were :) I was also wondering when everything was going on with the temple- guess I got my answer! I'm glad you were able to clean and participate there! How great to have a temple so close! I miss you guys... I prob won't be up til the beginning of March or something. I'm kinda freaking out about my house and our living arrangements. Sigh. I know it will all work out, it's just waiting. Have a great night!