Sunday, November 18, 2007

new bishop

I don't usually share such personal feelings, but I am trying to get over that.

today was a sad and happy day in our ward, after over 5 years our bishop was released. I really can't remember the last time I was in church for a new bishopric meeting. (We weren't at the last one for Bishop Farr because we were in Hava Supai!) I was even sure what to expect. It is hard to believe that we have been in this ward long enough to be here for an entire Bishop's calling. It was a very spiritual meeting. I think that if you didn't feel the spirit there you must not know what it is. The stake president (who is from our ward, he lives one house away from us.) started the program by asking anyone who has ever had a blessing from the bishop to stand up. I am pretty sure every single adult was standing. There were a few more questions like this. It made you realize how fortunate we were to have such a great bishop and how much he will be missed. On the other hand, the new bishop is going to be great. LIke you could really say someone is going to be a bad bishop. John Swallow was the bishop in a singles ward and was just barely released. We are all excited for the changes and sad to see a great bishop be release! It was really a happy and sad day for our ward.

I have to say that I teared up even before the meeting. One of the counselour's came up and gave me a hug and told me that one of the most touching blessings he had ever given was to me. I was being set apart as the secretary in the primary and in part of the blessing he said that I would be a mother. At that time I was struggling with infertility and I don't think that there was a dry eye in the room after that blessing. I had forgotten this blessing and I am so glad that he told me about it. I have blocked out a lot of emotional things during this time period, so I am really grateful that he shared it with me. It helps me remember that my Heavenly Father knows and loves me.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

you had me crying....

Ann Marie said...

So weird - we too just got a new bishop last week - I am not joking! Our was in going on 7 years!!! I totally can relate to all the emotions you are feeling! Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

I'm glad you shared! These are the times that help us remember the important things huh.
So John is your new bishop? If so that is amazing.
I missed being with you guys- but you are right- I haven't been there for 3 years! Next year it will be different! We had a nice time, and my mom said your Thanksgiving was really good as well. She complimented your cooking of course, you always make up something great. Molly made your buttermilk syrup and made extra for me so I could take it to my Thanksgiving as a hostess gift!