Monday, January 7, 2008

a new calling

I recieved a new calling in church this week. I am a Sunday School teacher. I have to say I am really excited about it. I have never taught sunday school before and I am not really great at teaching but I am happy to feel apart of something and be able to serve. I have struggled with where I fit in at my ward. We have lived here for six years and at times I have felt like I am starting all over. Let me explain. My first calling in this ward came six months after we moved in. That was hard on me. I had just come from a ward where I was the 2nd counselor in the Young Women's and I really didn't want to leave the ward. I loved it! I was trying to figure out a way to stay in that ward. Trust me I tried. Back to my calling. I was called as a primary teacher to seven 9 year old boys. Yep! And I was alone. It was the hardest thing I think I have ever done!! (those boys just left Eric's deacons this last year!) The new year came and I was moved to a new class (nicknamed the dream class) and they were angels. I was also called as an Activity Days leader. I enjoyed all that until I was called to be the primary secretary. I loved this calling. It was great! I think I met more people during that calling then I have in any other calling. It was great. The hardest thing for me was to ask to be released after the birth of Savannah. I just couldn't do it with her. She was very difficult her first few months and I had very little support from Eric. I don't blame Eric, it was our first kid and he was busy too, but I felt very alone at church because he had something to do and I had to take care of Savannah. I was then called to Activity Days. I had this calling for two years. It was great, I loved the girls I worked with. They were so cute! (Two are now in my sunday school class!) After two years, I was feeling forgotten. I know that is terrible but I was. I knew what I was doing was important but I just felt like I could do more. I was then called to the Activities Committee. I loved this. Parties are right up my alley! I loved this calling. Unfortunately, I was joining the committe when I was pregnant and the leader was about to be released. We had two amazing parties. And that was it. A new leader was called. And not a lot was done for the ward parties. Actually only the Pioneer Day breakfast and well that is another story. A year later here I am. I hadn't done anything except cut fruit since Olivia was born. I know it is hard with two small children to give your all but I know that I can. I also know that I need Eric to support me in this calling. I cannot do it with out him! Sorry for the novel but this has been on my mind. I felt like I have so much to give yet I was stuggling for a place to give it. This calling came at the right time. I am really excited to teach for so many reasons. This year is the Book of Mormon and I am so excited to learn and study and teach others about the importance of this book and how it can change your life. I can't wait to get to know the 12 year olds of our ward better. (they might be sick of Jorgensens though since Eric gets the boys the first hour for Deacons.) I think the only way I was able to get through the last few months of not feeling relevant in this ward was the I knew my Heavenly Father loves me and has a plan for me. I just had to keep telling myself this. I also knew that my job was to support my husband as he is serving in the young mens. I feel like I do that. He is away a lot with them, especially in the summer, but I know that he is needed there. So sorry for the long ramble. Many thoughts running through my head right now.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I know you have struggled with this but I am glad that you know that it is the Lords time and he has a place for everyone and there is a time and a season for everything. Glad to hear you are happy about it. Now you can't complain when it gets tough...if you do I am going to make you read this entry. hehe

Kat said...

I'm glad you shared. I can see how you would feel lost at times- and if you weren't doing all you could. This is probably a great time for this calling now that your kids are getting older huh? I am so excited for you to teach. It is the greatest calling... at least I think so. I always learn a ton-
I'm glad that you were able to remember that Heavenly Father has been aware of you- I'm sure that helped during some of the hard times. I can't imagine having Scott gone as much as Eric is gone... his callings haven't ever required much time. I've got it coming don't I!

Nicole said...

I am happy for you and your new calling. Teaching callings scare me so I am glad that you are excited about it and I know that you need it!!! And it is sometimes hard to support your spouse in their calling and not complain (ask Trevor :) and me about basketball)

Leyla... said...

Callings (especially when you have small children) can feel really overwhelming. I always just try to remember that the Lord will never give us more than we can handle. Sometimes I feel like I'm at my limit and more stuff just keeps coming, but He knows us better than we know ourselves. Remember too, that everyone is going through or has gone through it - yes even the people who make it look easy struggle too. You'll be an awesome teacher!

Ann Marie said...

Callings are a strange thing - I was in the Primary Presidency for 2 years and LOVED IT. I balled when they released our Presidency. I so did not want it to be over. Then I balled even harder when they called me as the ward choir director right before the Christmas program - SERIOUSLY??? I din't even know how to lead the music, let alone I am a horrible singer. But I learned a new skill and it has actually been a very do-able little stress calling ( now that I know what I am doing! ) I never thought in my wildest dresams I'd be doing that. But like I said it is do-able with two small kids and Heavenly Father knows what we are capable of more than we do!