Thursday, February 7, 2008

the kindness of a stranger

Today, I took Olivia to the doctor. Since I was at the sandy ihc clinic, and I had a prescription called in for me for the pain of the ovarian cysts, i thought I would go and pick it up. the parmacist informed me that is price was going to be $104 with insurance. (turns our we have an high deductible on prescriptions.) OUCH! was all I could think. I knew that I would have to talk to eric before I filled that one. I told the pharmacist that I would have to wait and that since I really didn't need it today that it wasn't a big deal. I would talk to my doctor about free samples or another drug. I went to sit out and wait for Olivia's name to be called (which it took about 45 minutes total waiting time!). The pharmacist came out and told me that there was a man who wanted to pay for the prescription. I was floored. Someone I didn't know was willing to pay so much money for me. I was shocked. I thought that only happened in Christmas stories. I was near tears. The pharmacist said the man wouldn't take no for an answer. I ran into the pharmacy and met the kind stranger. He was an ordinary man. Plainly dressed and simple. He had been wandering around the pharmacy as I was talking to the pharmacist. As I explained to him that there is no way I would let him pay for this for me. He insisted and we went back and forth a few times. Tears were forming in both our eyes. I explained that I had the money and it was just not with me. I also told him that there are so many more deserving people than me. I was so touched that a stranger was offering this to me. In the end, I didn't get the prescription. I really didn't feel right. I think just knowing that he was willing was far more touching than the actually act of paying for it. We both sat in the waiting area for another few minutes. His wife was called back and he stayed. Olivia's name was finally called and I stood up to walk back to see the doctor. I gave the kind stranger one last smile of gratitude. I truly believe that his small act has affected me beyond words. I hope that I can be a kind stranger and show others the love that they all deserve.

**this took me a fews days to write since it was such a sweet act. i wanted to do it justice!***

4 comments:

Kat said...

That is the nicest thing I have heard in a long time. How kind. I started to tear up- especially when she spoke of confronting him and him being so firm about wanting to help you. What a good person. Thanks for sharing

Shannon said...

It's so easy to get caught-up in the cynicism of the world. Thank heavens there are people that remind us of what life, love and humanity is really about.

Ann Marie said...

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing, it has inspired me to do something good for someone else!

Leyla... said...

WOW! I didn't think things like this really happened. Thanks for sharing the story!