Sunday, October 7, 2007

General Conference Weekend

As a kid General Conference Weekend meant that we didn't have to go to church and we could play all day. I remember many times where we would set up a whole huge play area on our back patio and play for hours. Since I met Eric, this weekend is so much more.
It starts out with the The Newquist Group breakfast. All go to Little America for a breakfast and a meeting with a political flair. The idea is that this group is looking for like minded individuals and for bringing attention to different social and political issues. Eric's dad is in charge. My attendance has been sporadic since Savannah was born. Kids will do that. We all race home to catch the first session of conference. We used to watch a couple of the sessions at his parents house but with kids we just stay home with our own chaos. For the priesthood session, all the brothers and his dad will go together to their parent's stake. Last night was a special night since Craig surprised us with a visit so all the boys were with their Dad. (Except David who is serving his mission in Michigan!) Then we all have dinner at the parents house. Last night we had chili and pigs in the blanket for the kids! On Sunday we all gather together after the last session and have dinner. Eric's mom will usually say something about how another conference has come and gone. She passes out treats during conference like granola bars or trail mix. It is this weekend that I really miss Katherine. I have so many memories of hanging with her and Vickie and April while the guys are at priesthood. Conference time is really a special time for us. It is all about listen to the leaders of our church and spending quality time with our family. I really love being part of a family that makes conference a priority in their lives. So every six months you know where I will be!

3 comments:

Kat said...

I missed you guys today! I was feeling sorry for myself because Scott didn't feel good, and hasn't caught the excitement of conference weekend. Sports are the exciting thing around this house. You described everything perfectly :) Funny thing, I bought a bunch of trail-mix treats, and made similar food to what we have this time of year at home.
I'm glad you miss me... not glad about it, but glad that I am missed, because I do wish I was there more. Hopefully when school is over I will have more free time to come and go when I feel like it. Thanks again for doing such cute things on your blog, I feel like I'm keeping up in a way!
Hope you had a wonderful night! Tell Eric and the girls hi. Love you, Kat

Nicole said...

I was just thinking about our out of control set ups outside during conference weekend as well...that patio in draper was awesome...I would love something like that now!

Missy said...

Natalie! I am so glad you found my blog...Now it will be like we actually see each other. Your girls are so cute.