Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thoroughly Modern Millie

Okay this got long. Be ready.

Last night we went and saw Olympus High's production of Thoroughly Modern Millie. My dad bought tickets for all of us. Stewart, who works with my dad, has a very talented family and his daughter was Millie. Savannah and I left Eric and Olivia at home. So it was a great mommy and Savannah time. We even practiced clapping in the car. It was a great time. Savannah was loving it. She was on my lap for most of the time. Towards the end she started dancing in the aisle. I was trying to control it without too much noise. Kids are kids, but well I guess there is more below. Unfortunately Savannah and I left at the intermission. This was for two reasons. One was because it was almost 9 pm and I thought I would need to go and feed olivia. The other has a story.

Two older ladies were sitting behind me. Old Lady 1 was directly behind me. Old Lady 2 was behind the empty seat Savannah should have sat in if she wasn't sitting on my lap. This their converstation at the intermission.

OL 2: Isn't this great. The singing is so good.
OL1: I don't know I can't tell and I can't see.
OL2: Oh the dancing is so great, don't you think?
OL1: I don't know I can't see.
It goes on you get the point, I think you know where this is going.
A minute later, OL1 taps me on the shoulder. She asks me is there is anyway I could control my daughter. She tell me how cute the dancing is and how it is great the she is excited but she really needs to be still. And she really needs her to be completely still. She needs to be able to see the show because she is judging it. Yep judging it. How is it that my luck is so great that the woman judging the show is directly behind me. I was so caught off guard that I decided the we should go home. I wanted to stay but I couldn't handle someone making me that my parenting skills are not good enough to control my 3 year old who was loving the show.
The funny thing is that this is not my first run-in with older people. It happened once before at bajio. An older couple YELLED at me for the kids in our group being loud. It wasn't even Savannah. Is is just me the old people look for or what? Have any of you ever had this happen to you?

7 comments:

Danielle said...

She so lies...she totally wasn't judging the show. Maybe judging it to what she saw in 1930. I seriously would have told her to shut up and if she didn't like you to move. You paid for the seat just as she did. I know you should respect your elders but they don't give the best examples sometimes and I think there are times when we need to let them know that they are being totally ronchy and just as bad as a three year old who doesn't know better. That makes me soooo mad. You should have told me I would have let her have it. After you left Ben was standing in the aisle. I hope that totally pissed her off.

Nicole said...

I am sorry that happened to you. Some old people totally forget what it was like to have little kids (and what would she be judging the show for and if she was really judging it don't you think that she would have had front row seats or something???) I would have loved to Savy and Ben dancing in the isle. At least they aren't tall.... and seriously...she couldn't see over you??? you aren't that tall...she is crazy.

Leyla... said...

There is nothing worse than a grouchy old person! They're so scary! I'm sorry this happened to you. I felt hurt and angry at the same time while reading your blog. Don't people know that controlling kids is mission impossible.

Krissie said...

Judging the play for what? How strange. Who judges a high school play? I agree with Nicole, she obviously would have had some sort of VIP seats or something. She must have a little bit of dementia :) Don't take what she said to heart-it sucks that you ended up leaving early because of what an incosiderate person did. I think that we can't control our kids behavior all of the time, but others should appreciate that we make efforts to do so, and not make judgements and hurtful comments, that doesn't help anything! Sorry you had that experience-but just know that you are a great mother and forget about what she said!!!

Ann Marie said...

Old people crack me up! Whenver something like this happens to me I try to not take it personally, they are just OLD and used to everything being their way or up to their expectation. Besides, I thought that one of them couldn't see or hear . . . so how could she possibly be that bothered anyways???!!!

Kris said...

She was probably so excited that the seats didn't remain empty. Mom or Liz sat in the seats (I can't remember which ones) And the people behind her probably weren't able to see with her huge hair do. And she had some jerk of a guy come talk to her before the show blocking the whole aisle so we couldn't get it.

Sorry about Bajio.......I still laugh everytime that gets brought up because we had no idea what was going on!!!!!!

Natalie Jo said...

Thanks for all your kind words! I guess I should of just told her off but I was really shocked. It was like she was a nasty old woman. But things happen. Life goes on. Let's hope that I don't run into her again! (Like I did that old couple that yelled at me) And kris thanks for laughing again with Cami today!